Junior Adventures Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Randomization not working in Pajama Sam games

2 posters

Go down

Randomization not working in Pajama Sam games Empty Randomization not working in Pajama Sam games

Post by Nowhere Girl Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:31 pm

I'm new here and I'm having the problem I mentioned in the title.
I play all HE games through D-Fend Reloaded + Scumm VM (except "Putt-Putt Joins the Parade", which I have in its normal version - with exe file - and which can be ordinarily run through D-Fend Reloaded/DOSBox). They all work fine, however there is this strange thing: randomization doesn't seem to work in the three Pajama Sam adventure games I have, "No Need to Hide...", "Thunder and Lightning..." and "You Are What You Eat...". This feature is OK in Freddi Fish and Putt-Putt games, and Freddi Fish games have as much randomization.
The even stranger thing: randomization isn't completely "off". Sock locations in PS1, jigsaw puzzle image in PS2, sauce needed in PS3 all change - however, there's no path-splitting. Every time I play the same solution is required - Sam's lunchbox is always in the water, Granny Smythe is always having trouble with dancing cans and so on.
Any ideas what should I do to get randomization working?
Someone on Moby Games suggested it may be related to processor speed, however I still haven't checked it out due to two reasons: first, laptops tend to overheat, my computer is a laptop and it's really not difficult to get it to shut itself down from overheating. Usually it handles DOSBox or Scumm VM games just fine, it has much more problems with for example Amiga-to-Windows ports or even some browser games, but anyway the more pressure I put on its processor, the more likely it is to overheat. Second, I downloaded a very simple free slowdown program, tried to try it out on a funny browser platformer "Weirdville" (my old laptop was from around 1999 and the game worked fine on it, now it runs so fast I can't complete any level except the easiest first) and the slowdown seemed to have no effect at all.

Anyway, how can randomization be working fine in Freddi Fish and Putt-Putt games, but not with Pajama Sam?

Nowhere Girl
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Randomization not working in Pajama Sam games Empty Re: Randomization not working in Pajama Sam games

Post by Onfy Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:30 pm

The Humongous games have no speed/timer errors that I know of, you shouldn't play using D-fend, and if you don't mind, if you have an android device I suggest you see here. http://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Nimbus+Games+Inc
(And I forgot, here too. http://nimbusgames.com/games A pc port of Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo is out.)
Onfy
Onfy
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/user/Obscurenforeign

Back to top Go down

Randomization not working in Pajama Sam games Empty Re: Randomization not working in Pajama Sam games

Post by Nowhere Girl Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:45 pm

Nope, I only have a computer. My mobile phone is only suitable for games such as "Snake", it doesn't even have Web access - my, it's a black-and-green display phone. ;)
I prefer D-Fend because of my screenshot-collecting mania, plus - other HE games work fine with D-Fend and if I'm right, using Scumm VM only doesn't change anything. But I'll check it out with some other Pajama Sam game (I first played PS3 with Scumm VM only because I messed up something with its D-Fend profile, however when playing it with D-Fend I get the same path).

Nowhere Girl
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Onfy Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:48 pm

Atl-s to take screenshots, check in scummvm's folder. Or on original exe, you can press ALT+PRINT SCREEN and paste into paint. And on the second link, go right to the bottom, they're at least selling Putt-Putt Zoo for $10. (I do think they should make it cheaper though!!) ;)
Onfy
Onfy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nowhere Girl Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:29 pm

Hey, I know how to take screenshots. I just wonder how to make randomization work...

Nowhere Girl
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Onfy Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:50 pm

Try not using D-fend. I know Pajama Sam 1 at least requires you to complete the game to "unlock" the extra paths. (I think it's tracked through the game INI.)
Onfy
Onfy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nowhere Girl Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:42 pm

It worked! I finally met Carrot at World Wide Weather.
However, I still don't know why does randomization work OK in Putt-Putt or Freddi Fish games, but not in Pajama Sam games...

Nowhere Girl
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Onfy Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:10 pm

They're easier, for younger players. (Though Putt-Putt Travels Through Time does do the same thing!)
Onfy
Onfy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nowhere Girl Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:47 am

Freddi Fish already has quite a lot random elements - seven possible locations of the golden pipes (I think so), two paths in "The Creature of Coral Cove"... These are different solutions as much as the ones in Pajama Sam games, yet Freddi Fish games work fine with D-Fend Reloaded as well...
Anyway, I'm glad to have Pajama Sam games finally working fully, even when it's a pity that it's only possible without D-Fend Reloaded. But I keep screenshots from these games in DFR, so it's accepableven if I have to play them through Scumm VM directly.

Nowhere Girl
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Onfy Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:50 am

In Pajama Sam, you must "unlock" more paths by beating the game.
Onfy
Onfy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down