Junior Adventures Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What kind of shows did you watch when you were a kid?

+6
pezhead53
CDCB
legoknight
Pizzaking27
ElectroMan34
Retrodude
10 posters

Go down

What kind of shows did you watch when you were a kid? Empty What kind of shows did you watch when you were a kid?

Post by Retrodude Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:56 pm

I suppose the title says it all.
For me, of course there was pretty much EVERYTHING on PBS Kids in the late 90s and early 2000s. I don't even know how to express what I felt for the Arthur series at that time, other than "Arthur=Win". Then, there was Zoom. Seriously, it was probably the dream of any kid in the late 90s to get on that show, and for good reason. The show was about kids demonstrating art projects, science experiments, cooking recipies, doing skits, talking about life, and it was AWESOME. Especially the fact that they told you that "if you like what you see, turn off the TV, and DO IT!".
Once my family got Dish Network, I was pretty much going between PBS and Toon Disney. I mean, Ducktales, Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, Doug, Pepper Ann, Recess, most any Disney cartoon from the late 80s and the entire length of the 90s... you get the idea. And don't forget the good stuff from the early 2000s, such as Teamo Supremo, Lloyd in Space, and The Weekenders. Those were good. Then... they started Jetix, and it all went downhill from there. I think you know the rest. Toon Disney + Jetix = Disney XD. You know, Disney, you don't NEED to have TWO FREAKIN DISNEY CHANNELS FOR EACH END OF THE COUNTRY! Replace one with retro Disney and I'm good, okay, thanks, bye.
Retrodude
Retrodude
Adventurer

https://www.youtube.com/user/JuniorAdventurer

Back to top Go down

What kind of shows did you watch when you were a kid? Empty Re: What kind of shows did you watch when you were a kid?

Post by ElectroMan34 Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:15 pm

My experiences were about the same. Everything on PBS Kids (Arthur above all else) and Disney cartoons on Saturday (started out as "1 Saturday Morning" and later renamed "ABC Kids").

Of course, there weren't really any other kids' shows to watch on local programming. But I made the best of it.
ElectroMan34
ElectroMan34
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

What kind of shows did you watch when you were a kid? Empty Re: What kind of shows did you watch when you were a kid?

Post by Pizzaking27 Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:03 am

OK, (clicks fingers by stretching them) let's see now: I have seen or watched as a kid, Pingu, Bob the Builder, Noddy's Toyland Adventures, and Tweenies. Yeah, those were some shows. (Charlotte's Web reference intended) I have also watched some Carlton Kids shows. (though I haven't watched them on the channel, I just watched them on home video) I have watched Tots TV (1992) featuring 3 lemmings (called "tots" in the show) on their adventures in a barn living with a donkey. The blue tot was called Tom, who is the genious out of the 3, hence his glasses and his magic sack! The green one was called Tiny, potrayed as a little boy, and, like Pajama Sam, turns into his alter ego super hero, "Super Tiny" in one episode. The red tot was called "Tilly", who is the girl out of the 3, and speaks French in Britain, Spanish in your country, and English in France. She also plays the piccolo. Her catchphrases are "Sacqué magicqué, sacqué magicqué" and "O lala". Another show on Carlton is Rosie and Jim (1989), about 2 troublesome puppets who come to life and go on adventures when they're the only ones on the boat. Yet another show on Carlton was the Adventures of the Garden Fairies (1997), which are just men and women in costumes. One of the men was a character, who was a bee with glasses. I can't remember his name, but I think he's a pretty clever character. I have also seen Charlie Chalk (1986) (a stopmotion about a clown). I've seen Postman Pat (1980) (unlike most cartoons, this one is about a postman). I've also watched Fireman Sam (1986) (that's a good, but funny Welsh-British show, because one of the firemen, Elvis Cridlington, is stupid). I have also watched Teletubbies (1996), OH MY GOD that was possibly the worst show on earth, except for a 3D horror show, which actually gives you sharp needles into your eyesockets! <:-@ Speaking of horror, last night I had a nightmare about Teletubbies, where the windmill was spinning, informing the 4 that a show was about to come on. They ran to the hill to see who or what was gonna come on, like they would normally do. Instead of a regular one, like the 3 ships sailing around, or the man in a house, cops and robbers appeared. They were supposed to be arresting the Teletubbies, but they were just racing around Teletubbyland in police cars like complete maniacs! The police didn't look real, though, they looked like the sleeping police from Dream Street (1995), which is also a show on Carlton, and therefore a show I used to watch as a kid also! But, yeah...
Pizzaking27
Pizzaking27
Adventurer

Location : 16 Gatekeeper Close, Braintree, Essex, United Kingdom

http://pizzaking27.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by legoknight Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:02 pm

Bob the Bilder,Noddy,Alferd etc.
legoknight
legoknight
Adventurer

https://twitter.com/legogamesfun2

Back to top Go down

Post by CDCB Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:08 pm

I watched just about everything on PBS and Playhouse Disney, and a good share of Nick Jr.

I think my faves were:

PB&J Otter, Out of the Box, Dragon Tales, Arthur, Bear in the Big Blue House Seven Little Monsters, Adventures From the Book of Virtues, Calliou (eww), Blue's Clues, Dora (eww again), and anything Pooh-related to name a few.
CDCB
CDCB
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by pezhead53 Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:55 am

Shining Time Station. Nothing else needs to be said.
pezhead53
pezhead53
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pizzaking27 Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:28 am

According to Thomas the Tank Engine Wikia, in the third episode, in the British dub, Sir Topham Hatt threatens to brick Henry up forever and ever, but in the American dub, STH threatens to brick Henry up until he is ready to come out of the tunnel.
Pizzaking27
Pizzaking27
Adventurer

Location : 16 Gatekeeper Close, Braintree, Essex, United Kingdom

http://pizzaking27.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hondo20132 Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:10 pm

Oh geez, I watched SO many shows in my childhood. My favorite channel to watch was, of course, Nick Jr, with shows like Little Bear, Franklin, and my favorite, Blue's Clues (with a huge emphasis on season 1 - but I also remember most of season 2 and some of 3), and there were several others I watched too as the next few years went by.

I also watched PBS here and there, with Sesame Street of course, Arthur, and several others I can't really remember off the top of my head.

There were plenty of VHS tapes I rented as well, mostly Nick Jr ones, and also some various Winnie the Pooh ones and occasionally Veggietales (which is pretty strange, since I don't really consider myself religious).

Playhouse Disney came somewhat late in my childhood years, but I did watch plenty of their shows too. Yep, gotta love '90s childrens programming.
Hondo20132
Hondo20132
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by pezhead53 Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:07 am

Pizzaking27 wrote:According to Thomas the Tank Engine Wikia, in the third episode, in the British dub, Sir Topham Hatt threatens to brick Henry up forever and ever, but in the American dub, STH threatens to brick Henry up until he is ready to come out of the tunnel.
The "forever" part was part of the original book, due to the fact that Henry originally never was going to leave that tunnel. One of the requirements the publishers required Awdry to add a fourth story (Edward, Gordon and Henry) be added to the first three stories in order to get them published. The story was required to get Henry out off the tunnel, as well as establish that Edward and Gordon were on the same railway as Henry.
pezhead53
pezhead53
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by RyanA1992 Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:33 pm

Watched just about everything on PBS like many of you, as well as good ol' Disney Channel back when it was still a channel worth watching.

Also, I freaking LOVED Treehouse TV and TVOKids (back when Gisele's Big Backyard was still The Nook, and when it only ran into noon). Oh, and Kids' CBC.

Hey, I'm from Canada, so what did ya expect?

EDIT: oh, and I was also a huge fan of Teletoon.
RyanA1992
RyanA1992
Adventurer

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyHwPQ8a-LTql4-J1tyz4EA

Back to top Go down

Post by ThatWG Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:44 pm

Retrodude wrote:
Once my family got Dish Network, I was pretty much going between PBS and Toon Disney. I mean, Ducktales, Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, Doug, Pepper Ann, Recess, most any Disney cartoon from the late 80s and the entire length of the 90s... you get the idea. And don't forget the good stuff from the early 2000s, such as Teamo Supremo, Lloyd in Space, and The Weekenders. Those were good. Then... they started Jetix, and it all went downhill from there. I think you know the rest. Toon Disney + Jetix = Disney XD. You know, Disney, you don't NEED to have TWO FREAKIN DISNEY CHANNELS FOR EACH END OF THE COUNTRY! Replace one with retro Disney and I'm good, okay, thanks, bye.

Jetix was decent in Serbia! How dare you!  Putt: Confused Freddi: O_O Sam: Shocked

ThatWG
Player

http://thatwg.serbianforum.info/

Back to top Go down

Post by lava89 Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:01 am

I pretty much grew up with Star Trek TNG and Arthur. I really wish they made Arthur games in the style of the HE games (they licensed Blues Clues, after all). Arthur had such a cool world, it would fit perfectly for a non-"edutainment shoved down the throat" adventure game.
lava89
lava89
Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum