Junior Adventures Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IM MAD AT DOSBOX !!!!

2 posters

Go down

IM MAD AT DOSBOX !!!! Empty IM MAD AT DOSBOX !!!!

Post by Pizzaking27 Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:38 am

OK, so remember when you said that the 1994-onwards Humongous games work perfectly in Windows 3.1? (at least with WinG and Win32s installed, that is) Well, I'm emulating Windows 3.1 in DOSBox and have Win32s installed. I'm trying to play the 2002 release of Putt-Putt Travels through Time, but when I try to open it, Win32s says the EXE is in an invalid format and will not start Travels through Time. Then it gives me unexpected DOS error 21. I tried changing the cpu type to a slow pentium, but no dice. And in case anyone asks, I am using DOSBox v0.74. I am just wondering if you could help me out here!

In the meantime, POSTED THREAD ON SCUMM VM FORUMS AND AWAITING RESPONSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fox: Stare
Pizzaking27
Pizzaking27
Adventurer

Location : 16 Gatekeeper Close, Braintree, Essex, United Kingdom

http://pizzaking27.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

IM MAD AT DOSBOX !!!! Empty Re: IM MAD AT DOSBOX !!!!

Post by Onfy Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:53 pm

SPUTM99r (US Spy Fox 2 on, and almost everything with the Infogrames and everything with the Atari name attached) requires Windows 95, and is incompatible with Windows 3.1, Win32s, and I assume, Windows NT 3.1 as well.

Off the top of my head:

The last US releases compatible are Freddi Fish 4 (unofficially) Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo 1999 (unofficially) and Putt-Putt Enters the Race (officially)

The UK copies of these games from GT Interactive (which are the same as the US versions) will also work.

The French translations released by Transposia and GT Interactive should all work, none of the Infogrames or Atari releases probably will.

The German translations released by Ravensburger and GT Interactive should all work, none of the Infogrames or Atari releases probably will.

The Dutch translations released by Transposia should all work (up to FF4), none of the Infogrames or Atari releases probably will.

No UK redubs can be played without Windows 95 or higher. (Or Windows 75 for Circus!)

Same goes for Italian.

The Hebrew translations of FF3, PJS2 and Circus also won't work, the NeXT Multimedia translation of Freddi Fish should work; their translations of the classics were DOS-only afaik.

The Japanese translations should work???

I think the Arabic translations were only made for DOS, but I don't know anything about these.

The original Norwegian and Swedish releases of Freddi Fish from Levende Bocker should work, the Infogrames release of 2001 won't.

Oh, and the Russian translations are a giant crapshoot. Generally the unofficial ones are based on the very first US release (even very rare ones like Parade 1.0) but the official ones are generally based on the latest UK or US code, so it's all over. Freddi Fish 1 (based on the US 1998 release) and Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon I think will work, I think all the rest are based on UK or US updates to the games. I can't think of any other that isn't.
Onfy
Onfy
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/user/Obscurenforeign

Back to top Go down

Post by Pizzaking27 Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:10 am

Oh, uh... geez... oh dear... either I must've gotten confused or else... and I really hesitate to say this, but, I might have not been using Windows 3.1 carefully in my whole life. See, I was born in 1997, so at that time Windows 3.1 was used in tandem with Windows 95. I thought I was using a corrupt or older version of Win32s. Again, I was using the 2002 release of Time and it actually was published by Infogrames. So, does the .EXE invalid format error mean that the game/rerelease is designed/remastered exclusively for Windows 95 or later, and is incompatible with Win32s, let alone Windows 3.1 itself? Funny! ._.;;

BTW, there were Arabic versions of the classics?!
Pizzaking27
Pizzaking27
Adventurer

Location : 16 Gatekeeper Close, Braintree, Essex, United Kingdom

http://pizzaking27.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Onfy Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:39 am

It's not that way on purpose I don't think. It's just that as you move on to use new tools and support new technology, you lose support for the old in a natural way. It's like writing a program in the latest Visual Studio and then being mad that it doesn't run in Windows 95. (Not that it stops me.)

You can though sometimes get a DOS error 21 in Dosbox 0.74. That's one of Dosbox's many bugs. It seems to go away if you set the CPU type to 486_slow.

Yup, Arabic versions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDBAyksHYcM
Onfy
Onfy
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/user/Obscurenforeign

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down