Junior Adventures Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is there a guide for using the Hulabee extraction tool?

2 posters

Go down

Is there a guide for using the Hulabee extraction tool? Empty Is there a guide for using the Hulabee extraction tool?

Post by JimJamboree Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:43 am

I think the title is pretty too the point, but as a general summary:

I saw a forum post on the Hulabee extraction tool, and thought I might be able to gleam the proper way to use it (or use it at all for that matter), but I learned very little. I now have Python and some libraries installed, but I'm pretty bad at using command line and powershell. I know that the answer is probably a no brainer to most everyone, but this is my first foray into even LOOKING at the windows command prompt, and a detailed explanation would really help. Also, it would give me some experience into actually finding these files myself for other games, instead of completely relying on the work of others.
Thank you for reading, and double thank you if you can help!

JimJamboree
Roamer

OdieFreddi likes this post

Back to top Go down

Is there a guide for using the Hulabee extraction tool? Empty Re: Is there a guide for using the Hulabee extraction tool?

Post by SomeRandomHEFan Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:30 pm

It's been a genuine nightmare for me to get the scripts running as well. I was able to make the extraction script work under Windows somehow, but the image conversion script seemed flat-out impossible no matter what I tried.

Furthermore, even when they work, these scripts are seriously clunky to use with the Windows command prompt due to its lack of wildcards requiring you to manually point them to each and every file. You might be able to get around that with a for loop or something like that, but I'm not well-versed enough in Windows batch files to know how that works.

I was finally able to run them properly using an outdated build of Ubuntu (where Python 2.7 was still the default) under a VM. But even then, installing the Python Image Library that the image conversion script requires was a total mess. I have no idea why it suddenly worked after everything else I tried failed. But once I finally had things set up properly, I could run the scripts. And thanks to wildcard support, interacting with large amounts of files was no big deal either.

I realize this probably isn't enough detail to help you solve your problem, but I'm afraid I'm not the right person to give you detailed instructions. I only barely understand this stuff myself. Plus, the scripts have recently been updated to Python 3, so they probably work differently now. If you really want to use them, you'll have to find either comprehensible instructions that actually work (I certainly never managed to) or someone who can run you through the whole thing.

SomeRandomHEFan
Adventurer

OdieFreddi and JimJamboree like this post

Back to top Go down

Is there a guide for using the Hulabee extraction tool? Empty Re: Is there a guide for using the Hulabee extraction tool?

Post by JimJamboree Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:54 pm

Anything helps. I guess I could try using ubuntu, but I think I would have to get rid of my current python first wouldn't I?

JimJamboree
Roamer

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeRandomHEFan Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:49 am

Don't see why an existing Python installation should pose an obstacle for installing Ubuntu on a VM. That uses a completely different Python installation that shouldn't overlap.

SomeRandomHEFan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by JimJamboree Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:49 pm

I keep getting error messages in the Ubuntu console when I try installing Python
"Could not resolve 'archive.ubuntu.com' "

I've tried with Ubuntu 18.04.3 and 20.04

*** Never mind, I got it working finally. Virtual switch decided to run through the wrong thing.

JimJamboree
Roamer

Back to top Go down

Post by JimJamboree Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:55 pm

Well, I've tried everything (on Hyper-V) and have had no luck. Currently using Ubuntu 18.04 with Python 2.7. I haven't actually gotten to using the decoder because every time I get close, the VM breaks, I have to force it off, and for whatever reason some windows files get corrupted. I then have to restart the whole process (this is the third time). Does anyone have a VERY DETAILED guide for this? Is Hyper-V the issue? Is there a way I could run this without a VM (and how)?

JimJamboree
Roamer

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeRandomHEFan Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:36 am

If the VM software itself is malfunctioning, you might want to switch to a different one. I personally used VirtualBox.

Also note that the latest version of the script now uses Python 3. I hope you didn't try using that one with Python 2.7. I believe more recent versions of Ubuntu would be a better fit for that.

I should probably try to get the latest version running myself, now that it apparently supports CAN images.

SomeRandomHEFan
Adventurer

OdieFreddi and JimJamboree like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down