Junior Adventures Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mr. Men and Little Miss

3 posters

Go down

Mr. Men and Little Miss Empty Mr. Men and Little Miss

Post by Pizzaking27 Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:55 pm

I'm sure you may not have heard of them, but in 1971, there was a man named Roger Hargreaves who had a son called Adam. His son was curious about what a "tickle" looked like one day. His reaction? Of course, Roger made an orange character with a blue hat and extraordinarily long arms and called him "Mr. Tickle". This was his first book, and also the start of another franchise! (the franchise looks alot like it could've been created in the 60s, but that's a different story)

There have been more characters in the series, such as Mr. Happy and Mr. Bump, and they all live up to their name quite exaggeratedly! 10 years later, Hargreaves thought about adding female characters to the franchise and called them "Little Miss". Starting off at Little Miss Bossy, the Little Misses were also a great success, even though there were more Mr. Men then Little Misses.

Not all was happy, though. Hargreaves suffered from a strike in 1988, and, because of this, was dead. It was up to his son to avoid the franchise from ending, and to continue it for him. And he did. He made more Mr. Men and Little Misses in 1990, as well as some futher stories for the old characters in 1999. (e.g. Mr. Small's Big Dream, Mr. Nosy and the Big Surprise, Little Miss Trouble Moves House, etc.)

Did anyone else used to read those books when they were young? I have some of mine and thought I might open up discussion about them.

Some interesting facts:
To celebrate the 30th anniversary of the franchise in 2001, there was a contest to see who can create their own Mr. Men or Little Misses. Guess who won? If you're guessing Mr. Cheeky, then you're right!
There were Mr. Men videogames throughout the 80s, and there were more for the PC in the early 2000s...with terrible voice acting. It has stated once that Argonaut Games were to make a Mr. Men kart racing game for the PC, PlayStation, and Game Boy Color in 1999. However, the game was never released due to the fact that not everyone in America knows who exactly are the Mr. Men.
There were a bunch of Mr. Men and Little Misses that were exclusive to France. One was a busybody, one was a careful person, [Please Talk Properly]! Two were even characters that always reply with a "yes" or "no"!
There have been 4 cartoons based on the books. The first was broadcast between 1974 and 1980 by a company called Flick Films. The second was broadcast in 1982, also by FF. Both of which were not popular, and haven't even been dubbed! The third cartoon was broadcast between 1992 and 1998 by Maraguad Animation, and featured exclusive stories for almost all the characters. The cartoon had an American dub on PBS, and it even featured one of the voice actors from the Mario cartoons as Mr. Happy! The cartoon is somewhat similar to Adam's Mr. Men style, but still nowhere near perfect. And I should not even SPEAK of the late 2000s Mr. Men Show, since the creators of the show are just dumb and forgetful when it comes to production.
Pizzaking27
Pizzaking27
Adventurer

Location : 16 Gatekeeper Close, Braintree, Essex, United Kingdom

http://pizzaking27.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Mr. Men and Little Miss Empty Re: Mr. Men and Little Miss

Post by Retrodude Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:58 pm

May I ask what's wrong with the late-2000s series? I've watched the reruns and I find it's a very good show for younger kids with enough offbeat humor and pop culture references to entertain adults. Also, I wasn't aware that the series was British, but that's likely due to the fact that the voice cast of the newer show is American.
Retrodude
Retrodude
Adventurer

https://www.youtube.com/user/JuniorAdventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pizzaking27 Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:58 pm

What's wrong with the late-2000s cartoon is that the characters have Out of Character Moments throughout some of the plots. For example, in Up and Down, Little Miss Scary and Mr. Bounce scare Mr. Noisy away, even though that legend has it that you can feel scared if you are surprised by a loud noise.
Pizzaking27
Pizzaking27
Adventurer

Location : 16 Gatekeeper Close, Braintree, Essex, United Kingdom

http://pizzaking27.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RyanA1992 Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:21 pm

Everybody has their own opinion. The late-2000's Mr. Men Show is cool in my book.
RyanA1992
RyanA1992
Adventurer

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyHwPQ8a-LTql4-J1tyz4EA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down