Junior Adventures Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BBC Video Games

4 posters

Go down

BBC Video Games Empty BBC Video Games

Post by Pizzaking27 Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:12 pm

Hiya, everyone! I'm Pizzaking27! This is my first EVER post on the Junior Adventures Network! All I've ever played with Humongous-wise was Putt-Putt Travels through Time, but I hope you won't mind that... I have played SPY Fox in Dry Cereal as well at a school computer once or twice, but couldn't find a way to get around. I had to leave my old school, and go to a new one, and believe me, that one is just a Crapsaccharine World! But you get the idea, right? Anyway, onto the main thread.

As you all know, America is not my default country, but I do come from an English-speaking country. In it we have this famous television network called "British Broadcasting Cooperation" abbreviated as BBC. It is so popular, that it even gained some video games based on their programs, most notably ones for children. (some of which I have played or owned)

Here's the list of games by order of first broadcast of original show:

Blue Peter (1959) (it is one of the longest, if not, the LONGEST running children's show ever broadcast. Looks like Pajama Sam might be the mascot! Sam: Happy ):
The Video Game (1997) (wow! I didn't know there was a Blue Peter video game!)

David Attenborough Documentaries (196?) (he is Britain's best narrator for documentaries ever):
Attenborough's Antartic (1997) (there was a VIDEOGAME BASED ON DAVID ATTENBOROUGH?!?!?! Who even knew?!)

Top of the Pops (1963) (the Beatles have been respected more times on this show since it premiered in the 1960s, as well as misc. other popular bands of the time! The show HAS been broadcast in America, as a clip from Father Ted states that Dougla wants the protagnist to watch it on a cardboard TV)
Mix Factory (1997) (in my opinion, this is the first FL Studio-esque mix factory program ever made, if I'm not mistaken)

Doctor Who (1965) (it's quite popular in my country):
Destiny of the Doctors (1996) (a pretty early BBC video game)

Gardener's World (1968) (the show had a magazine that was more popular than the book. It still mentions that it was originally a magazine, though... Putt: Confused )
Garden Manager (1996) (even the videogame claims that it was originally a magazine! Weird!)

Mastermind (1971) (The threatening music, the famous black chair, the merciless Icelandic inquisitor... so spooky! Yeah, right!)
The Videogame (1997) (it reminds me of Who wants to be a Millionaire?, but I don't actually own it, so I can't confirm it)

Result (19??) (I can't seem to find the TV show on Wikipedia, so I'll need to know where it is)
The BBC Sports Quiz (1995) (I don't like sport much, so I'm least interested in this)

The Really Wild Show (1985) (the show has had 2 anniversaries...err...so to speak...)
The Video Game (1997) (there's a weird little CGI beaver at the top of the cover... I wonder who put HIM there?)

Pingu (1985) (for some reason I found that show quite funny):
A Barrel of Fun (1997) (the title has very little to do with the actual game... the really nice surprise is that the game has screensavers that can be put on your computer (you may encounter problems with them on Windows XP). One of my personal favourites is Stunt Pingu, where the titular character moves across the screen on a scooter, doing various tricks and stunts as he goes. It's kinda cute!)
Pingu and Friends (1999) (a game I used to play on my computer, but I'm not so sure if I have it anymore. I used to do the Parcel game all the time for some reason or other... EDIT: Ooh, I found it. It was in my Dad's car, along with two of the Living Books I used to play, and Rayman 2: the Great Escape)

Wallace & Gromit (1990) (yes, there really is a Wallace & Gromit! ;-)):
Print-o-matic (1997) (meh, nothing too special. Just a print studio... Fox: Stare )
Cracking Fun-Pack (1998) (when I watched the last 2 shorts, I couldn't stop thing about this, so I just had some food for thought to show it to you. OK, not really, but?)
Cracking Animator (1998) (you can make them move on the computer, but not in real life... strange, really...)

The Animals of Farthing Wood (1992) (a serial I used to watch about a fox who tries to save Farthing Wood from evil woodsmen... a bit like Pajama Sam, won't you say?)
The Video Game (1997) (this game plays like a Humongous game, despite not being supported by ScummVM. Why, it's even in Telephone Quality like one, too!)

Noddy's Toyland Adventures (1992) (the show is actually an adaptation of a book series by the late Enid Blyton):
The Magic of Toytown (1997) (This game cannot be run on my computer, so I'm unsure if I know how to play this game if I can fix it...)
Playtime in Toyland\Let's get Ready for School (1999) (I have more nostalgia than any other children's game I've ever played in the WHOLE of my entire LIFE, and it still IS my favourite! My favourite game is Master Tubby Bear's Homework, because sometimes, when he is bored, he will draw funny pictures on his homework, and Noddy will get angry with him, and will force him to finish on his OWN! Freddi: Laughing Luther: BAHAHAHA! )
Noddy and the Birthday Party (2000) (this game is only available for the Gameboy Colour. The game depicts Big Ears' birthday, instead of Master Tubby Bear's, which is where Homework is featured in)
Noddy's Magic Adventure (2001) (this game is only available in Europe on the PlayStation, but it might also be available in America, I think. This is one game I played at my girlfriend Paige's house, but I haven't owned it yet, and could get annoying to find at places where old video games are kept)

Live and Kicking (1992) (this show had a popular, but spooky mascot called Mr. Blobby, who spoke in a Barney/Mario hybrid voice. He also even LOOKS like Barney)
Show Maker (1997) (before then, videogames were trying to be make-your-own-movie videogames. This is the first time it actually IS one! Freddi: Cheering Fox: Smiling )

Teletubbies (1996) (WORST! SHOW! EVER! I'm thankful it's over, but it's also GOT RERUNS NNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY GASCAN! Sam: Shocked ):
Play with the Teletubbies (1997) (this game is available on the PC and the PlayStation, though GameSpot isn't aware that a PC version is also available. Game Boy Colour and Nintendo 64 versions were planned, but were unreleased, even though it seems like a Game Boy Colour version should be Luther: Happy Freddi: Cheering Fox: Smiling )
Favourite Games (1999) (I've never played or owned this game! YAHOO! I'M AWESOME! AW YEAH!)

The Human Body (1997) (I've never seen this programme on TV, but I've heard of it)
Your Body (1999) (as far as I know, this is the longest BBC videogame by far)

Tweenies (1998) (it is one of THE most, if not, THE most, colourful shows of all time! Freddi: O_O ):
Ready to Play (2000) (this game is only available in Europe, but it's available on both PC and the PlayStation. I wonder if Tweenies was ever broadcast in America, and Canada? Putt: Confused Sam: Thinking )
Doodle's Bones (2001) (this game is only available in Europe on the Game Boy Colour. For those who don't know, Doodles is the Tweenies' dog, who has a girlfriend. I can't remember her name, but she's purple and white. Doodles is red and yellow)
Messy Time (2001) (when I first played this game, the colours were a bit messed up, as well as Milo's (the Tweenie I chose) mouth moving slowly. I did find Max's sleeping rather funny, though! Freddi: Laughing Luther: BAHAHAHA!

Bob the Builder (1999) (the voice acting is GREAT, except for the machines', especially Lofty the Crane's. His voice is so annoying because he sounds like Scooby Doo as a human!):
Can we Fix it? (2000) (this game is available on both PC and the PlayStation, which is funny, because most of the time the game focuses more on the keyboard, and not enough on the mouse. What I find MORE funny is that the developers took the voice clips, and then edited them... poorly. It's kind of a good laugh!)
Fix-it Fun (2001) (this game is only available on the Game Boy Colour. Too bad, but thank god Lofty-wise that this game has no voice acting!)

Bill and Ben (2000) (I think they decided to revive the series for a bit of nostalgia and memories, don't you think?):
Flowerpot Fun (2002) (I remember playing this game on my computer. One of my favourite games is the one where Bill and Ben are on the roof of a house, and they jump down into the pipes, because they think the pipes are slides, and you have to guide Bill and Ben safely down to the ground)

Yoho Ahoy (2001) (this was one of my favourite shows, and like Pingu, the only thing the characters say is the show's title):
Yoho Ahoy (2002) (they didn't put much effort into the name, I mean, come on, they could've thought of something better! Honestly!)

Fimbles (2001) (this show was so popular, that one of the recurring characters, Roley Moe, got a spinoff called the Roley Moe show):
Fimbling Fun (2002) (this game also had a print studio, where you could play a game of spot the item, which had a big hourglass next Fimbo, and you had to guess yes or no to where it's hiding)

So there you have it, all the BBC video games as of now, but I will keep looking for more video games soon enough. I'll have to ask the question though, did YOU have any of these when you were a kid? I have some.

Some interesting facts:
The BBC caused more trouble with Humongous, by making their titles more seen in the stores. This is why it's hard to find a Humongous game in my country anymore. You CAN still spot the BBC videogames out, but very rarely!
Some of the games had some of the sounds in Telephone Quality, rather than AM Radio Quality, like a Humongous game, which they also teased them about!
Until 2000, most of the games were made using the Macromedia Project Skeleton engine, which would be used in games by the puzzle game developers Soleau Software. One of the only exceptions before 2000 was Play with the Teletubbies, which ran on a different engine (RenderWare?), since it was 3D. Some of the Disney games run on the Project Skeleton engine, as well as Rayman Activity Centre.
The BBC may have hidden easter eggs in the games. The only eggs I've hatched were the NewSound in the Bob the Builder: Can we Fix it? game. (greetings, Professor Dolton) And then there's the funny pictures in Playtime in Toyland mentioned above!
A few of the games are supported in ScummVM. The Macromedia Project Skeleton games are not supported... yet, anyway... maybe have to wait for a 2012 release of ScummVM.

This topic is a response to Retrodude's Living Books topic.

Last edited by Pizzaking27 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:35 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Editing info on Magic of Toytown!)
Pizzaking27
Pizzaking27
Adventurer

Location : 16 Gatekeeper Close, Braintree, Essex, United Kingdom

http://pizzaking27.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

BBC Video Games Empty Re: BBC Video Games

Post by Retrodude Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:32 pm

Wow, that's quite a list.
I think my younger brother had the Bob the Builder: Can We Fix It? PC game, and it might still be somewhere around here. I'm sure they released a version with the American voices over here. You guys from across the pond probably get the same effect when seeing our dub of Bob the Builder as we get when we see a British dub of any Humongous game!
Heh, Teletubbies. I was never young enough to play any of their video games, but that show has been the butt of a lot of elementary school jokes. Ah, the days when people would make fun of Tinky-Winky for looking like he's gay, and the comments about how their babbling is actually swear words backwards. XD
And I think Noddy used to be on the PBS stations here, but then again it seems about half their programming is British due to the fact that PBS is one of the few broadcasting companies that, like your BBC, has no commercials. I do remember the show taking place in a toy store, and the titular character getting his own animated segments, but other than that and some ice cream saleswoman who was always dressed in a giant ice cream cone suit, I don't remember much.

Hang on a second... If you live in the UK and you played Putt-Putt Travels Through time, you must have had the British dub, right? Do you still have that one?
Retrodude
Retrodude
Adventurer

https://www.youtube.com/user/JuniorAdventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pizzaking27 Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:39 pm

Retrodude wrote:Wow, that's quite a list.
I think my younger brother had the Bob the Builder: Can We Fix It? PC game, and it might still be somewhere around here. I'm sure they released a version with the American voices over here. You guys from across the pond probably get the same effect when seeing our dub of Bob the Builder as we get when we see a British dub of any Humongous game!
Heh, Teletubbies. I was never young enough to play any of their video games, but that show has been the butt of a lot of elementary school jokes. Ah, the days when people would make fun of Tinky-Winky for looking like he's gay, and the comments about how their babbling is actually swear words backwards. XD
And I think Noddy used to be on the PBS stations here, but then again it seems about half their programming is British due to the fact that PBS is one of the few broadcasting companies that, like your BBC, has no commercials. I do remember the show taking place in a toy store, and the titular character getting his own animated segments, but other than that and some ice cream saleswoman who was always dressed in a giant ice cream cone suit, I don't remember much.

Hmm... I think I have had the Bob the Builder game a few times, I still do. As for Teletubbies, I know a fanfic which expresses Tinky Winky's gayity, written by a little girl.
Hang on a second... If you live in the UK and you played Putt-Putt Travels Through time, you must have had the British dub, right? Do you still have that one?
Pizzaking27
Pizzaking27
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by MrEightThreeOne Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:37 pm

America does have BBC America, but they're a year behind the UK.
Oh boy... Teletubbies is one of those shows I cannot believe exists.

Admin

https://www.youtube.com/user/legoking831

Back to top Go down

Post by Pizzaking27 Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:16 am

legoking831 wrote:America does have BBC America, but they're a year behind the UK.
Oh boy... Teletubbies is one of those shows I cannot believe exists.

Glad to spread the hatred! Putt: Happy Face BTW, do, or did you have any of the games in the list?
Pizzaking27
Pizzaking27
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by AaronReturn2005 Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:10 am

When I first came here as a guest I loved this post so much (and still do) due to the overuse of emoticons. It’s really cute like that!

AaronReturn2005
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down