Junior Adventures Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Original XMI Files for The Humongous DOS Games

3 posters

Go down

Original XMI Files for The Humongous DOS Games Empty Original XMI Files for The Humongous DOS Games

Post by dellr Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:37 pm

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone had the original xmi files for the DOS humongous game's (and no, not the version's converted to .mid) A download link would be very nice, thank you in advanced! :)
dellr
dellr
Player

Back to top Go down

Original XMI Files for The Humongous DOS Games Empty Re: Original XMI Files for The Humongous DOS Games

Post by SomeRandomHEFan Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:50 am

You can extract them from the games. Download ScummEX from http://www.scummvm.org/subprojects/ and open the .HE1 file of the game in question. Open all LFLF chunks and any SOUN subchunks in them. If they contain a MIDI subchunk, extract it with the "File dump" option, then open if with a hex editor and remove everything prior to "FORM XDIRINFO". Then you've got an XMI file.

SomeRandomHEFan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Original XMI Files for The Humongous DOS Games Empty Re: Original XMI Files for The Humongous DOS Games

Post by dellr Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:16 am

SomeRandomHEFan wrote:You can extract them from the games. Download ScummEX from http://www.scummvm.org/subprojects/ and open the .HE1 file of the game in question. Open all LFLF chunks and any SOUN subchunks in them. If they contain a MIDI subchunk, extract it with the "File dump" option, then open if with a hex editor and remove everything prior to "FORM XDIRINFO". Then you've got an XMI file.
So wait, do I delete everything before Form XDIRINFO?
dellr
dellr
Player

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeRandomHEFan Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:10 pm

dellr wrote:
SomeRandomHEFan wrote:You can extract them from the games. Download ScummEX from http://www.scummvm.org/subprojects/ and open the .HE1 file of the game in question. Open all LFLF chunks and any SOUN subchunks in them. If they contain a MIDI subchunk, extract it with the "File dump" option, then open if with a hex editor and remove everything prior to "FORM XDIRINFO". Then you've got an XMI file.
Yes. There should only be roughly a dozen bytes before that. It's all special header data for SCUMM and will confuse conventional XMI players. "FORM XDIRINFO" is the header of the actual XMI file.

Why do you want the files in the XMI format though? According to my research, it's just a slightly more limited version of the MID format and much more obscure.

SomeRandomHEFan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by dellr Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:22 am

SomeRandomHEFan wrote:
dellr wrote:
Yes. There should only be roughly a dozen bytes before that. It's all special header data for SCUMM and will confuse conventional XMI players. "FORM XDIRINFO" is the header of the actual XMI file.

Why do you want the files in the XMI format though? According to my research, it's just a slightly more limited version of the MID format and much more obscure.
While is is certainly possible to convert the XMI files to midi, sometimes the conversion is kinda odd. Also, as it turns out, Putt Putt Goes To The Moon is the only one to rip correctly, because it was composed on an actual midi synth (Roland SC-55), the other game's, while ripable, don't play back properly, because it seems they need an additional soundbank.
dellr
dellr
Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Onfy Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:33 am

I believe the games use some kind of custom adlib map for the data... or something like that.

Admin

https://www.youtube.com/user/Obscurenforeign

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down