Curator - Soundtracks Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Curator - Soundtracks Thread

Post by Curator on Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:50 pm

Hey guys. My name's Timothy, and I go by Curator; I work to release master recordings from video game soundtracks. I'm working on Putt-Putt Saves The Zoo: The Definitive Soundtrack right now; ask me whatever you like.

Other places to check in:

https://twitter.com/lookforcurator
https://www.facebook.com/lookforcurator


Last edited by Curator on Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:23 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Some things have changed.)
avatar
Curator
Player

Posts : 13
Join date : 2016-01-13
Location : Portland, OR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Curator - Soundtracks Thread

Post by SomeRandomHEFan on Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:16 pm

Oh wow, you guys sure know how to reach out to potential customers. Not many companies would go as far as to locate an obscure, half-dead forum for related games. Now I'm even more eager to support you.

As for questions I have, do you plan to release all of the Junior Adventure soundtracks in the future, or have some of the uncompressed original versions been lost?

SomeRandomHEFan
Player

Posts : 20
Join date : 2014-10-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Curator - Soundtracks Thread

Post by Curator on Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:33 pm

SomeRandomHEFan wrote:Oh wow, you guys sure know how to reach out to potential customers. Not many companies would go as far as to locate an obscure, half-dead forum for related games. Now I'm even more eager to support you.

Thanks! We just figured if there was anyone who might have questions for us at this stage, it would be you guys.

SomeRandomHEFan wrote:As for questions I have, do you plan to release all of the Junior Adventure soundtracks in the future, or have some of the uncompressed original versions been lost?

I'll say, personally, that we'd love to release more Junior Adventure soundtracks. That would be awesome! But it all depends on how this project goes. Publishing the PPSTZ soundtrack has taken about two years, we're not done yet, and we're not certain how successful it will be (being in the business of releasing classic niche game soundtracks for the first time is a tricky market).

So we'll see. It has to be worthwhile for Tommo, for George, and for Cadmium. If it turns out that it is, of course we'll do more! But we're facing a ton of unknowns that we'll only find out in the months after the PPSTZ OST comes out.

To answer your second question: yes, some uncompressed masters are really hard to track down, and might be gone entirely. Rhett Mathis's Penguin Jams from PPSTZ are one such example--they existed on a single floppy which has since degraded and might be unrecoverable. (We're working with him on solutions for that.)

I was just speaking with Tom McGurk in Seattle and he has no idea where masters might exist for SPY Fox 3, which is a bummer but we're not finished hunting yet. A lot of them might exist on personal backups the owners don't even realize they have.

But we'll find out as we go along. A valuable skill in this business is focus--we're not going to try to hunt down all the masters at once. We'll go a title at a time and see what we need when we need it. :)

I can tell you that George (Sanger) was amazing at keeping records of his work. It's likely every bit of his music we'll be able to find easily.
avatar
Curator
Player

Posts : 13
Join date : 2016-01-13
Location : Portland, OR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reply

Post by CEO100able on Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:09 am

Hello there! Thanks for answering my question in the other topic for this product. You know, I'm really curious about this product's format... will these versions of the soundtrack be released on audio CD, or as digital downloads, or just both formats? If you're planning on releasing them on CD, I will be highly thrilled because I would love to listen to the music tracks on my Sony Walkman CD player. Please let me know because I'm looking forward to having an audio CD copy of the 20th anniversary edition. Thanks!
avatar
CEO100able
Adventurer

Posts : 115
Join date : 2013-04-11

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/CEO100able

Back to top Go down

Re: Curator - Soundtracks Thread

Post by Curator on Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:06 pm

CEO100able wrote:Hello there! Thanks for answering my question in the other topic for this product. You know, I'm really curious about this product's format... will these versions of the soundtrack be released on audio CD, or as digital downloads, or just both formats? If you're planning on releasing them on CD, I will be highly thrilled because I would love to listen to the music tracks on my Sony Walkman CD player. Please let me know because I'm looking forward to having an audio CD copy of the 20th anniversary edition. Thanks!

You're welcome! While a CD release from us is possible, it will probably be toward the end of the year, behind releases on other formats (and even behind other Junior Adventure soundtrack releases). I wouldn't hold out for it. We're releasing it in FLAC (lossless CD quality), though, so I'd recommend just burning your own copy after it comes out. The PPSTZ soundtrack will fit on two CDs.
avatar
Curator
Player

Posts : 13
Join date : 2016-01-13
Location : Portland, OR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Curator - Soundtracks Thread

Post by Windows TV on Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:04 pm

Is there a release date?
I'm quite interested to see what songs you guys got a hold of! o:
And if I may how much of Tommo is helping you guys with the release of the PPZ soundtrack? You don't have to answer if you don't want to.
avatar
Windows TV
Adventurer

Posts : 154
Join date : 2011-10-16
Age : 18

View user profile http://www.wix.com/djlance/he        COMING SOON

Back to top Go down

Re: Curator - Soundtracks Thread

Post by Curator on Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:49 pm

Windows TV wrote:Is there a release date?

Coming soon! Our newsletter is the best way to find out as soon as that's set. http://curator.audio
Windows TV wrote:I'm quite interested to see what songs you guys got a hold of! o:

I will be releasing the complete soundtrack. Every second of music from the game. The only piece still in doubt is Rhett Mathis's contributions, which include the Penguin Jams and the little diddy that plays in the secret area of the rapids. The originals of those might be lost, but I'm working with Mathis now to come up with a solution to replace them.

Windows TV wrote:And if I may how much of Tommo is helping you guys with the release of the PPZ soundtrack? You don't have to answer if you don't want to.

I'm happy to answer this, but I don't really understand the question. Can you clarify?


Last edited by Curator on Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Curator
Player

Posts : 13
Join date : 2016-01-13
Location : Portland, OR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Curator - Soundtracks Thread

Post by Windows TV on Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:01 pm

To further elaborate on my final question there, is Tommo a long side with you? Are they asking about the project and supporting it? Tommo in my eyes have not seem to support their Humongous projects they give to other companies. They give companies the bare bone of things and request they do the rest ( This is coming from the games when they partnered with Night Dive Studios for the Steam games ). Really, are they just working with you, not putting all the work on you without resources?

I elaborated a little to much xD
avatar
Windows TV
Adventurer

Posts : 154
Join date : 2011-10-16
Age : 18

View user profile http://www.wix.com/djlance/he        COMING SOON

Back to top Go down

Re: Curator - Soundtracks Thread

Post by Curator on Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:32 pm

Windows TV wrote:To further elaborate on my final question there, is Tommo a long side with you? Are they asking about the project and supporting it? Tommo in my eyes have not seem to support their Humongous projects they give to other companies. They give companies the bare bone of things and request they do the rest ( This is coming from the games when they partnered with Night Dive Studios for the Steam games ). Really, are they just working with you, not putting all the work on you without resources?

I elaborated a little to much xD

I appreciate the clarification. There seems to be some confusion about what our relationship is with Tommo.

Cadmium Audio acts as a product developer and middleman between composers and corporations to get albums made and released that otherwise would not be.

I approached George Sanger (The Fat Man) in May of 2014, and said I wanted to release his music from PPSTZ, which he retained complete ownership of independent of Humongous Entertainment. He was impressed by my work and initiative and we began working together. "Working together" here means I was allowed to continue to develop the project, including the product itself, the marketing plan, a funding budget, etcetera. Every logistical piece of how the thing would work out in the world.

In order to market the product as the "Putt-Putt® Saves The Zoo™ Original Soundtrack," that is, in order to use the name Putt-Putt Saves The Zoo, or any related imagery, we had to work something out with Tommo, who obviously owns the relevant trademarks.

Now that we're creating a product that represents their brand and their characters, every piece of the product needs to be up to their standards for their brand integrity. To put it in simple terms, I would never be allowed to have an image of Putt-Putt on the cover that's stylistically different from the original Humongous art, because it might confuse people as to what Putt-Putt "really" looks like. I could never draw him with red eyes or depict Pep as a three-legged Dalmatian because that would dilute the brand and be weird for everyone.

So we're allowed to create a product that benefits tremendously from the brand recognition Tommo is offering us (imagine how difficult the album would be to find if it was called "PPZ: Music From The Zoo" or something like that that didn't use any copyrighted terms) and in exchange we have to make it benefit their brand; make it worthwhile for them.

All this is a very long way of saying our relationship with Tommo is one of approval and review. Cadmium develops a piece of the product and we send it to them and say "how does this look?" They get back to us within a couple weeks and say yea or nay. They're on hand to help us with some marketing stuff (since that's in their best interest), and they've been incredibly generous helping me develop some business strategies, but really their only responsibility with this is to review materials we send them. (Meanwhile, I continue to send stuff to George for approval too; he has veto power as well.)

This is because different people have different jobs--Tommo isn't a record label. We are. And about your perception that Night Dive did the work for the Steam ports, that's true and totally appropriate since Tommo isn't a game/port developer, either. That's what Night Dive is for. If Tommo was good at everything, Night Dive and I wouldn't have anything to offer them!

Does all this make sense?
avatar
Curator
Player

Posts : 13
Join date : 2016-01-13
Location : Portland, OR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm leading Putt-Putt Saves The Zoo Original Soundtrack: 20th Anniversary Edition. AMA!

Post by Windows TV on Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:03 pm

Yes, it does make sense, thank you very much for giving me information about this question!
Humongous is something I grew up with in my time and it means a lot to me that good things happen to the name, I know you guys are doing a fantastic thing here, it's just the info on how Tommo is playing a rule in the project and this information has helped me ever so much.
Thank you for clearing some things up for me and explaining the partnership! I really do appreciate the time put into the answer! Sam: Happy
avatar
Windows TV
Adventurer

Posts : 154
Join date : 2011-10-16
Age : 18

View user profile http://www.wix.com/djlance/he        COMING SOON

Back to top Go down

Re: Curator - Soundtracks Thread

Post by Curator on Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:54 pm

Windows TV wrote:Yes, it does make sense, thank you very much for giving me information about this question!
Humongous is something I grew up with in my time and it means a lot to me that good things happen to the name, I know you guys are doing a fantastic thing here, it's just the info on how Tommo is playing a rule in the project and this information has helped me ever so much.
Thank you for clearing some things up for me and explaining the partnership! I really do appreciate the time put into the answer! Sam: Happy

No problem, and you're welcome!
avatar
Curator
Player

Posts : 13
Join date : 2016-01-13
Location : Portland, OR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Curator - Soundtracks Thread

Post by vaffanculo on Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:37 am

This is so exciting!

I am sure soundtracks from the likes Spy Fox "Dry Cereal", Pajama Sam 2 and Freddi Fish 1 are perfect candidates for such a royal treatment.

Do keep us posted on further information on HE games. :)

vaffanculo
Roamer

Posts : 1
Join date : 2016-01-16
Age : 81

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reply

Post by CEO100able on Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:41 pm

The link to the Cadmium Audio website doesn't work anymore.
avatar
CEO100able
Adventurer

Posts : 115
Join date : 2013-04-11

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/CEO100able

Back to top Go down

Re: Curator - Soundtracks Thread

Post by Curator on Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:53 pm

CEO100able wrote:The link to the Cadmium Audio website doesn't work anymore.
I can't believe this topic is almost a year old. Wow.

And no, our site is down temporarily since we're rebranding before release. The company won't be known as Cadmium Audio (because what the heck does cadmium have to do with audio?) in the near future. As a result, our site's down until rebranding's complete and we're closer to publication.
avatar
Curator
Player

Posts : 13
Join date : 2016-01-13
Location : Portland, OR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reply

Post by CEO100able on Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:39 am

Okay, thanks. (Cadmium Audio's name reminds me of Silicon Dreams due to the fact that both companies were named after the chemical elements of atomic numbers. How did you come up with Cadmium Audio's name in the first place?)
avatar
CEO100able
Adventurer

Posts : 115
Join date : 2013-04-11

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/CEO100able

Back to top Go down

Re: Curator - Soundtracks Thread

Post by Curator on Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:45 am

CEO100able wrote:Okay, thanks. (Cadmium Audio's name reminds me of Silicon Dreams due to the fact that both companies were named after the chemical elements of atomic numbers. How did you come up with Cadmium Audio's name in the first place?)
Cadmium Audio was called that because I liked the sound of it, and Cadmium is the only periodic element with an abbreviation that relates to the music publication industry: CD.
avatar
Curator
Player

Posts : 13
Join date : 2016-01-13
Location : Portland, OR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reply

Post by CEO100able on Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:47 am

Timothy from Cadmium wrote:
Cadmium Audio was called that because I liked the sound of it, and Cadmium is the only periodic element with an abbreviation that relates to the music publication industry: CD.

Oh, I see. Let us know when the new site is available. Once again, thanks.
avatar
CEO100able
Adventurer

Posts : 115
Join date : 2013-04-11

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/CEO100able

Back to top Go down

Reply

Post by CEO100able on Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:48 pm

Looks like you changed your username and profile icon on this site. How do you rename usernames? I can't do it at all, unlike you.

Curator is a great name. Do you have a link to the website for your renamed company?
avatar
CEO100able
Adventurer

Posts : 115
Join date : 2013-04-11

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/CEO100able

Back to top Go down

Re: Curator - Soundtracks Thread

Post by Curator on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:35 am

CEO100able wrote:Looks like you changed your username and profile icon on this site. How do you rename usernames? I can't do it at all, unlike you.

Curator is a great name. Do you have a link to the website for your renamed company?
Yes, I did by sending Mr. Eight-Three-One a message on Twitter. ;) He helped.

Thank you! The links we have are to Twitter and Facebook at the moment.

https://twitter.com/lookforcurator
https://www.facebook.com/lookforcurator

If you stay tuned there, you'll know when our site goes up, or when anything interesting happens.
avatar
Curator
Player

Posts : 13
Join date : 2016-01-13
Location : Portland, OR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Curator - Soundtracks Thread

Post by Curator on Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:09 am

Hey everyone!

What a number of years. The Kickstarter is now imminent and I'm beyond excited to announce Putt-Putt Saves The Zoo: The Definitive Soundtrack crowdfunding effort, officially beginning on November 1st—the 25th anniversary of Humongous Entertainment.

We're going to need a TON of help making this happen, so spread the word!!

What do you think of the announcement trailer? Do you recognize the voice in it? Can you guess who the people in the photo are...?

avatar
Curator
Player

Posts : 13
Join date : 2016-01-13
Location : Portland, OR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reply

Post by CEO100able on Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:30 pm

Awesome! Putt: Happy Face  

Well, I'll see what I can to do spread the news; as a matter of fact, I'll have to comment on a lot of YouTube videos related to Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo and mention this project. As for the trailer, it is cool, but I didn't recognize anyone since I've never heard their voices until now. But I assume that the child in one of the photos is Jason Ellefson.


Last edited by CEO100able on Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I forgot to guess who the child was in one of the photos.)
avatar
CEO100able
Adventurer

Posts : 115
Join date : 2013-04-11

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/CEO100able

Back to top Go down

Re: Curator - Soundtracks Thread

Post by Curator on Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:20 pm

CEO100able wrote:Awesome! Putt: Happy Face  

Well, I'll see what I can to do spread the news; as a matter of fact, I'll have to comment on a lot of YouTube videos related to Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo and mention this project. As for the trailer, it is cool, but I didn't recognize anyone since I've never heard their voices until now. But I assume that the child in one of the photos is Jason Ellefson.

Thanks for thinking to do that! Spreading the word will be important on this one. We have quite a hill to climb.

And you HAVE heard his voice before. That's Jason twenty years later. He's a part of our project! Along with Laurie Arnold, who wrote, co-designed, and vocally directed the Putt-Putt series.



The photo in the trailer is them in the same studio we returned to to record new material back in April.
avatar
Curator
Player

Posts : 13
Join date : 2016-01-13
Location : Portland, OR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Curator - Soundtracks Thread

Post by SomeRandomHEFan on Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:01 pm

So the Kickstarter has begun: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/curator/puttzoosoundtrack

I'll be honest though, I think it's chances of succeeding are very slim. Though it looks fairly impressive, its goal is just far too high for something this niche. Getting some promotion from prominent YouTube personalities and Ron Gilbert could help, but I think this game just doesn't have enough fans anymore to accumulate 240.000 dollars.

I gotta ask, though. Why is Putt-Putt censored on some of the illustrations?

SomeRandomHEFan
Player

Posts : 20
Join date : 2014-10-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reply

Post by CEO100able on Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:45 pm

So far, I've been spreading the word my posting several comments about this on YouTube, but I didn't realize that the Kickstarter mission has recently started, so I mistakenly thought November 1st, 2017 was the official release date. If not, I apologize.

And you HAVE heard his voice before. That's Jason twenty years later. He's a part of our project! Along with Laurie Arnold, who wrote, co-designed, and vocally directed the Putt-Putt series.

I have, I'm just used to listening to Jason Ellefson's childhood voice since I grew up hearing Putt-Putt's voice sound that way. Thanks for the correction.

The photo in the trailer is them in the same studio we returned to to record new material back in April.

Cool! It's nice when some music and sound effect companies revisit places used for recording audio.
avatar
CEO100able
Adventurer

Posts : 115
Join date : 2013-04-11

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/CEO100able

Back to top Go down

Re: Curator - Soundtracks Thread

Post by Curator on Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:28 am

SomeRandomHEFan wrote:I gotta ask, though. Why is Putt-Putt censored on some of the illustrations?

It was because Tommo had dragged their feet for years on approval and a final agreement, and I wanted to get it out there into the world sooner rather than later. I was going to replace images of Putt-Putt a week into the campaign with an original character based on him, named Audio, that Jason Ellefson and I came up with, but that art didn't get finished until the decision was already made to cancel the campaign.

The first episode of Curating Creators went up today. Some real-time dev insight into Saves The Zoo by some lovely people:



I'd be delighted to hear your feedback.
avatar
Curator
Player

Posts : 13
Join date : 2016-01-13
Location : Portland, OR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Curator - Soundtracks Thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum