Junior Adventures Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Junior Adventures Modding

3 posters

Go down

Junior Adventures Modding Empty Junior Adventures Modding

Post by MrEightThreeOne Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:18 pm

I'm starting this topic for opening discussion on game modding. Very little research of modding these games has been done before, mostly because the files are annoying to find how to open. We do know a little bit about them though, and if we look into the files enough, we could probably find how to fully access and modify the game files. What is known as of now:

.exe: These are the executables for Windows 3.1. They are 16-bit, thus the reason 64-bit computers can't read them. Also is used to make sure that the Win32s are installed.
.w32: The game's engine.
.he0: The game's header, used to tell the engine what version of SCUMM the game runs on, as well as tell it where all the data is. Thanks to Onfy for pointing this out.
.he1: Contains the sound effects and more code.
.he2: Contains all the dialog. Unknown how to mod it as of now, but it can be opened using Audacity's Import Raw Data feature and setting the frequency to 11025 Hz. Strangely, older titles like the classics give you tons of static, but it's still recognizable.
.he3: Contains the cursors in the early HE titles. Can be opened using IconsExtract.
.he4: All the music is in this file. Use the same method as the .he2 file.

ScummEX can be used to open a majority of these files. But it's in early development now and not too useful yet.

This is all I can really write right now. Please share any more knowledge you have about modding. Modding can't be done if we don't research!

Last edited by legoking831 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:55 pm; edited 5 times in total

Admin

https://www.youtube.com/user/legoking831

Back to top Go down

Junior Adventures Modding Empty More info

Post by Onfy Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:31 pm

Technically, it's the other way around! The EXE is for Windows 3.1 and the W32 is the game's engine! It to make sure that you have Win32s installed - otherwise the 32bit EXE won't run! This is also why they don't work on 64bit Windows -- 64bit can't run 16bit EXEs! (In fact, they DO work if you rename the W32 to EXE! :O)

As for the HE0, it's the game's header, used to tell the engine what version of SCUMM the game runs on, as well as tell it where all the data is! And the HE1 file is often the data too!

Admin

https://www.youtube.com/user/Obscurenforeign

Back to top Go down

Junior Adventures Modding Empty Re: Junior Adventures Modding

Post by MrEightThreeOne Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:39 pm

Fixed it.

Admin

https://www.youtube.com/user/legoking831

Back to top Go down

Post by Retrodude Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:14 pm

I was wondering where they keep the sound effects! Too bad that they aren't as easily extractable as the other audio files.
I had an interesting idea, also. I was thinking of experimenting with replacing the .he4 files of Putt-Putt Parade and Fatty Bear to use recordings of the music playing through a different midi synth. Onfy and I have tinkered with extracting the midis from the DOS versions of those games, so I might experiment further with getting different music into those games. I'm not expecting success, though, since it's likely much more complex than I know of right now. It doesn't hurt to try, though.
Besides, I figure if a bunch of foul-smelling, grog swilling software pirates from Russia can replace the voice acting in Pajama Sam 1 with derpy voices, I should at least try to do something better.
Retrodude
Retrodude
Adventurer

https://www.youtube.com/user/JuniorAdventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down