Junior Adventures Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon original release Floppy!

+2
PicoRiveraCalifornia
Filmreelriley
6 posters

Go down

Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon original release Floppy! Empty Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon original release Floppy!

Post by Filmreelriley Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:46 pm

Hello everyone- perhaps you remember a little while ago I obtained a floppy-disk copy of "Putt-Putt Joins the Parade". Well now I've got something better- an original 1993 boxed copy of "Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon". It's not in the greatest shape, but I'm still very excited to have this in my collection!

I'm also starting to analyze the floppies to see if the game does have any significant differences from the version we all know.

Here are some photographs, sorry they're not the best quality. Should anyone want to see a closer shot of any of this, let me know.

Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon original release Floppy! Img_1411

Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon original release Floppy! Img_1415

Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon original release Floppy! Img_1413

Filmreelriley
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon original release Floppy! Empty Re: Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon original release Floppy!

Post by PicoRiveraCalifornia Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:17 am

Putt-Putt looks so creepy here.
PicoRiveraCalifornia
PicoRiveraCalifornia
Adventurer

https://www.youtube.com/PicoRiveraCalifornia

Back to top Go down

Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon original release Floppy! Empty Re: Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon original release Floppy!

Post by MrEightThreeOne Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:07 pm

Wow, I thought we would NEVER come across this. I have never seen the back of that box either -- and I must say, that's some pretty amazing artwork there. Putt-Putt's design on the front is also a whole lot less creepy than it was on Parade, but what the heck is wrong with Governor Moonbeam?
But seriously, that's an awesome find there.

Admin

https://www.youtube.com/user/legoking831

Back to top Go down

Post by Onfy Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:31 pm

Sweet carpet. I have one just like it.

Admin

https://www.youtube.com/user/Obscurenforeign

Back to top Go down

Post by wileyk2012 Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:47 pm

Yup, that's the original 1993 box artwork all right. Putt-Putt does look a bit strange, but I don't mind it (at least it looks a bit more like the Putt-Putt we're familiar with than on the 1992 "Parade" artwork!) As always, I love that "It TALKS!" icon.

Also keep in mind, unlike the other two HE classics, "Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon" was optimized for CD-ROM when it was made in 1993. By then, HE figured floppy disks were on their way out in favor of CDs, so they produced the game mostly for CD-ROM. When they came out with the floppy version, they simply removed some dialogue, even a few characters like the mouse family and the alien that tells you the distance of planets from the sun. The radio only says one generic announcement of some sort when you are on the moon, and the observatory PA system will only say the name of a planet when you click on it, instead of giving a description and Putt-Putt commenting on it (usually). "Moon" was pretty innovative for an HE classic, and helped set quite a few standards for future games.
I imagine this is also why the music was different than the previous HE classics, being composed by George "The Fat Man" Sanger and optimized for higher-end sound cards. (It sound kinda strange when played on an OPL/AdLib sound card, but ScummVM's default MIDI emulator handles it just fine though.)

wileyk2012
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Onfy Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:57 pm

The DOS version doesn't actually have an option for anything but Soundblaster/Adlib, and PC Speaker, (which barely gives any sound!) which is actually really freaking weird.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon original release Floppy! Empty Reply

Post by CEO100able Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:33 pm

What an excellent discovery!  Putt: Happy Face 

I have this version of this game on my copy of the Humongous Classics Collection disc because nowadays CDs, DVDs and other digital stuff provide some convenience.
CEO100able
CEO100able
Adventurer

https://www.youtube.com/user/CEO100able

Back to top Go down

Post by wileyk2012 Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:44 pm

CEO100able wrote:What an excellent discovery!  Putt: Happy Face 

I have this version of this game on my copy of the Humongous Classics Collection disc because nowadays CDs, DVDs and other digital stuff provide some convenience.

What you probably have is the CD-ROM based version of the DOS version. The Humongous Classics Collection included the Windows, Mac and DOS versions of the games; the latter being based off their CD-ROM counterparts. Like I said, "Moon" was more optimized for CD-ROM, and it shows. The floppy version simply removes some dialogue, alters a little of it, removes some characters or bits (like the mouse family), and a few more edits. This was obviously to save space on the floppy disks (I believe Humongous figured floppies were becoming obsolete back in 1993...) Also worth of note is how the CD-ROM version also has some mad-libs dialogue ("You won... all five... glowing moon crystals!") unlike with the other two HE classics, that only have mad-libs dialogue on the floppy versions (perhaps the most infamous case was Fatty Bear's "That's... two... balloons, Fatty Bear. Three... more to go!")

wileyk2012
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Onfy Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:28 am

You mean latter two? There's also Mac floppy versions. Have fun.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon original release Floppy! Empty Reply

Post by CEO100able Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:09 pm

wileyk2012 wrote:
What you probably have is the CD-ROM based version of the DOS version.

Yep, I do. The MS-DOS version of this game on the Humongous Classics Collection (which is what I have) is similar to the PC and Mac versions.

wileyk2012 wrote:
The floppy version simply removes some dialogue, alters a little of it, removes some characters or bits (like the mouse family), and a few more edits. This was obviously to save space on the floppy disks (I believe Humongous figured floppies were becoming obsolete back in 1993...)

Well, it turns out that HE used six floppy discs for this version of this game. Perhaps they thought it was too expensive to use more than six floppy discs?
CEO100able
CEO100able
Adventurer

https://www.youtube.com/user/CEO100able

Back to top Go down

Post by Onfy Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:15 pm

Shit, just ask Sierra, amirite?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down