Freddi Fish on the digiBLAST?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Freddi Fish on the digiBLAST?

Post by pezhead53 on Mon May 13, 2013 5:29 pm



I'd never even heard of this system until I found this picture. Apparently it was made by some Dutch company as a cheaper, more kid-friendly alternative to the Game Boy Advance. Needless to say, it bombed horribly and, according to this site (not the best source, but this thing doesn't even have a Wikipedia page), only 12 games were ever released for it.
avatar
pezhead53
Adventurer

Posts : 112
Join date : 2012-02-28
Age : 25
Location : St. Louis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Freddi Fish on the digiBLAST?

Post by J2xp. on Mon May 13, 2013 8:44 pm

<--Higher Resolution Image
Weird how Freddi Fish ended up on such an unknown hand held console. Freddi: Huh? Not sure which Freddi Fish this is, everywhere I look, it's just listed as "Freddi Fish" if I had to guess, I'd say it's either the 1st or the 2nd game, but who knows Putt: Confused I couldn't find any gameplay. Freddi: O_O
avatar
J2xp.
Adventurer

Posts : 51
Join date : 2012-10-02
Age : 20
Location : Top of the leaderboards.

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/st1ckykeys1

Back to top Go down

Re: Freddi Fish on the digiBLAST?

Post by pezhead53 on Mon May 13, 2013 9:20 pm

J2xp. wrote:Weird how Freddi Fish ended up on such an unknown hand held console. Freddi: Huh?

Yeah, the only reason I can think of is that Atari apparently had a good amount invested into this system (considering that "5 Atari classic games" were included when you bought one), and this was also not that long after Finding Nemo's release, so everyone and their mother in the children's entertainment industry was scrambling to make/re-release stuff with talking fish to cash in on the craze.
avatar
pezhead53
Adventurer

Posts : 112
Join date : 2012-02-28
Age : 25
Location : St. Louis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Freddi Fish on the digiBLAST?

Post by GeorgeQGreg on Tue May 14, 2013 5:15 pm

Dutch, eh? Sounds about right. :D The Dutch love Freddi!

Also, that artwork is I believe used on Atari's release of FF2, so I'd go with that.

MORE FUN STUFF: I found a nice video on the system. It actually looks pretty good, mostly. The games seem rather GBA-like, which really makes me wonder just what on earth FREDDI FISH is like on the system. Linkie.

Also found an ebay action for the system, from a seller in Italy. If anyone has the roughly $80 to blow on it, be my guest. Linkie.

EVEN MORE FUN STUFF! I just found a screenshot on a Dutch website.

Needless to say, I am even more intrigued. Also found this interesting quote.

Denk hierbij aan titels die we al van de PC kennen zoals Putt Putt, Pajama Sam en Freddi Fish. Alle titels zijn er in het Nederlands en Frans. Dit zijn allemaal platte, 2 dimensionale spellen geschikt voor jongere kids. Hiervan zijn er momenteel een stuk of 6 beschikbaar.

Which Google says means:

Think of titles that we already know from the PC as Putt Putt, Pajama Sam and Freddi Fish. All titles are available in Dutch and French. These are all flat, two-dimensional games suitable for younger kids. Of these, there are currently available a piece or 6.

I grow more interested by the second.

_________________
Door: What is the best computer programming language?

Sam: C.

Door: THAT'S ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!
avatar
GeorgeQGreg
Adventurer

Posts : 776
Join date : 2011-10-15
Age : 21
Location : Canada

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Obscurenforeign

Back to top Go down

Re: Freddi Fish on the digiBLAST?

Post by PrincessRaineVillanueva on Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:17 pm

GeorgeQGreg wrote:Dutch, eh? Sounds about right. :D The Dutch love Freddi!

Also, that artwork is I believe used on Atari's release of FF2, so I'd go with that.

MORE FUN STUFF: I found a nice video on the system. It actually looks pretty good, mostly. The games seem rather GBA-like, which really makes me wonder just what on earth FREDDI FISH is like on the system. Linkie.

Also found an ebay action for the system, from a seller in Italy. If anyone has the roughly $80 to blow on it, be my guest. Linkie.

EVEN MORE FUN STUFF! I just found a screenshot on a Dutch website.

Needless to say, I am even more intrigued. Also found this interesting quote.

Denk hierbij aan titels die we al van de PC kennen zoals Putt Putt, Pajama Sam en Freddi Fish. Alle titels zijn er in het Nederlands en Frans. Dit zijn allemaal platte, 2 dimensionale spellen geschikt voor jongere kids. Hiervan zijn er momenteel een stuk of 6 beschikbaar.

Which Google says means:

Think of titles that we already know from the PC as Putt Putt, Pajama Sam and Freddi Fish. All titles are available in Dutch and French. These are all flat, two-dimensional games suitable for younger kids. Of these, there are currently available a piece or 6.

I grow more interested by the second.

The Screenshot looks like the same from the original.
avatar
PrincessRaineVillanueva
Adventurer

Posts : 72
Join date : 2016-10-15
Age : 18
Location : Somewhere in the Philippines

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Freddi Fish on the digiBLAST?

Post by GeorgeQGreg on Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:38 am

It's so low res, so maybe it's a bit different. Impossible to know because the digiBLAST is such a darn obscure system. No ROMs, no emulators, or anything else that could help us. It's kind of amazing anything of this might have ever made it out, though I'm guessing in pretty small quantities.

_________________
Door: What is the best computer programming language?

Sam: C.

Door: THAT'S ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!
avatar
GeorgeQGreg
Adventurer

Posts : 776
Join date : 2011-10-15
Age : 21
Location : Canada

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Obscurenforeign

Back to top Go down

Reply

Post by CEO100able on Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:38 am

GeorgeQGreg wrote:It's so low res, so maybe it's a bit different. Impossible to know because the digiBLAST is such a darn obscure system. No ROMs, no emulators, or anything else that could help us. It's kind of amazing anything of this might have ever made it out, though I'm guessing in pretty small quantities.

No wonder the rest of the Junior Adventure games didn't make it to the digiBLAST.
avatar
CEO100able
Adventurer

Posts : 115
Join date : 2013-04-11

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/CEO100able

Back to top Go down

Re: Freddi Fish on the digiBLAST?

Post by GeorgeQGreg on Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:01 pm

Here's a fairly detailed writeup on the digiBlast. https://imgur.com/a/tPabE

With the way it can be used as a portable or console, and even has a stand, reminds me of some popular system...

And the Italian Wikipedia article mentioned in that writeup. https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digiblast

_________________
Door: What is the best computer programming language?

Sam: C.

Door: THAT'S ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!
avatar
GeorgeQGreg
Adventurer

Posts : 776
Join date : 2011-10-15
Age : 21
Location : Canada

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Obscurenforeign

Back to top Go down

Re: Freddi Fish on the digiBLAST?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum