Junior Adventures Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rank your favorites from each series.

+6
Onfy
hefan1998
Connak
wileyk2012
MrEightThreeOne
ElectroMan34
10 posters

Go down

Rank your favorites from each series. Empty Rank your favorites from each series.

Post by ElectroMan34 Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:14 pm

Kinda surprised no one else has done this yet.

List your preference of every game over the others for each individual series. Anything developed by Humongous goes. Explanations aren't necessary, I just thought I'd make a solid precedent.

Putt-Putt: Time > Race > Parade > Moon > Circus > Zoo >>> Pep's Birthday Surprise

It's no secret Time and Race are the strongest of the series. Parade and Moon (Parade in particular) are probably owed to the nostalgia factor. I've always loved Circus and still do, though I realize nowadays how weak the puzzles are. Interestingly, although Zoo seems to be the most easily nostalgia-ridden Putt-Putt game, it's never appealed to me that much. Haven't played it-which-must-not-be-named...and don't plan on it.

Freddi Fish: Conch Shell > Coral Cove > Schoolhouse > Briny Gulch > Kelp Seeds

This one is rather relative since 3 and 4 were the only ones I had copies of as a kid. Pay it little attention.

Pajama Sam: 3 = 1 > 2 > 4

Really difficult. #1 has the most charm, I think. But at the same time I've always thought 3 was the most impressive overall. 2's atmosphere always felt sort of "eh" for me. But that's completely subjective - I can still see how it'd be the best for someone else. Can't say anything about 4 that hasn't already been said, though I enjoyed it for what it was worth.

SPY Fox: 2 > 3 > 1

3 was easily my favorite when I was younger, mainly due to its enormous scale and intensity compared to the first two. But over the years, I've come to appreciate 2 a little more and 3 a little less. Pretty sure this one all comes down to personal preference, not unlike Pajama Sam.

Wow, that was fun. Now it's your turn. GO!
ElectroMan34
ElectroMan34
Adventurer

OdieFreddi likes this post

Back to top Go down

Rank your favorites from each series. Empty Re: Rank your favorites from each series.

Post by MrEightThreeOne Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:27 pm

Putt-Putt: Time > Race > Moon > Zoo > Parade > Circus > Pep's Birthday Surprise

Time and Race are some of my all-time favorites without a doubt, though the things that make me choose Time over Race is the annoyance of money collection and Torvil's Farm, among some other things. Moon is my favorite classic HE game for various reasons, particularly since the format isn't broken (In the others, you can finish the game outright skipping some puzzles) and I love its soundtrack. Zoo is one game I found to be okay, but probably not as good as a lot like to think. And certainly not as good as the level Atari and Nimbus adore it on. I used to like Parade, but honestly now that I look back on it, it's pretty dull. It's full of Early Installment Weirdness and it's just too short. Circus falls flat on many things, and feels like it could have been so much more. Pep's Birthday Surprise... Well, it's okay I guess, I do like the puzzles and all, but the voice acting and plot leave a lot to be desired, not to mention it feels like a Recycled Script.

Freddi Fish: 3 > 5 > 2 > 1 > 4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ABC Under the...erm...never mind.

Freddi Fish was the weakest of the four main stars to me. 3 and 5 are really the only ones that really stick out to me. 2 is okay I guess, but it's a bit on the easy side, being one of the few HE games I ever beat without any help from my parents or sister (I didn't have it as a kid, but I borrowed it from a neighbor once). 1, without the nostalgia factor, leaves a lot to be desired. It feels empty and the puzzles are scattered too much. In one path, there may be a fragment to another puzzle in a path you don't get, such as the fishing pole, turning it into a red herring. 4 could have been good, I like its writing and puzzles, but the scenery is really bland and unlively.

Pajama Sam: 2 > 1 > 3 > 4

I have said it before that 2 is my favorite HE game ever. It was the first full Pajama Sam game I ever played though, so it may be biased. Still, I love it's environment and its characters. Though 1 probably had the best characters with no doubt, especially Otto. It also probably had the most interesting plot. 3 was great, don't get me wrong, but the only categories I think it wins in are scenery and music. The plot was a bit corny and the characters weren't that memorable, but it's still fantastic nonetheless. 4 is just kinda bland and boring, though I do enjoy some aspects of it.

Spy Fox: 1 > 2 > 3
1 may be biased for me, as it was one of the first I owned. In fact, I believe it first came out in October 1997. I got it in December 1997. I was incredibly shocked to find out I got it that close to its release date when I saw that on my 486. It also had the highest PCount of any of the HE games on said computer, I believe it was 117. So...yeah, I still quite liked it though, mainly for its environment I suppose. 2 probably was better though, and I wish I could like it better, but nostalgia is a very powerful thing. I personally was never that fond of 3 for some reason. I don't know, something just seemed missing from it that I can't lay my finger on.

Admin

https://www.youtube.com/user/legoking831

Back to top Go down

Rank your favorites from each series. Empty Re: Rank your favorites from each series.

Post by wileyk2012 Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:15 pm

Let's see...

Putt-Putt: Moon > Race > Zoo > Parade > Time > Circus > Pep's Birthday
Let's face it, "Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon" seemed to be like a turning point for HE at the time. It was optimized for CD-ROM and was released on both CD and floppy at the same time (the floppy version deleted several lines of dialogue and other additional things, like the family of mice and that one alien telling you the distances of each planet from the sun), it had a more fuller MIDI soundtrack by George Alistair Sanger, giving it a more distinct sound than Tom McMail's initial HE soundtracks (even when I play the DOS version on ScummVM with default MIDI settings, it still stands out!)

Pajama Sam : 2 > 1 > 3 > 4
IDK why; I have played 3 before from start to finish, but I didn't like it as much as the first two...

Freddi Fish: 1 > 3 > 2 > 4 > 5
Not just nostalgia, but it's a pretty good way to introduce Freddi and Luther, and was also an innovative game for its time (though it still had no lip-sync; HE didn't begin experimenting with that until Pajama Sam 1.)

IDK if I ever finished Spy Fox 3. But the first two were fun for my brother and I to play together (we usually played the HE junior adventures as a team, even the HE classics!)

wileyk2012
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Connak Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:36 pm

I just joined so I'll give this a try...

Putt Putt

1. Travels Through Time- very fun game. I can remember it being challenging when I was younger.
2. Enters the Race- another game that was challenging at them time. I think I got this when it came out.
3. Goes to the Moon- A lot of fun. The only downside was how Putt Putt gets to the moon. You have to click on the window. Odd.
4. Joins the Parade- For the nostalgia factor. Pretty slow but it's fun.
5. Saves the Zoo- I borrowed this game always and never got my own copy. When I had it, I wasn't too crazy about it.
6. Joins the Circus- Pretty weak game. I think I was getting older and found this a little too easy.

I never played Pep's Birthday Surprise.

Freddie Fish

1. Freddie Fish 4- I remember this being the most fun to play and it was pretty challenging too.
2. Freddie Fish 3- Very good game
3. Freddie Fish 2- Never owned this game but I can remember it being fun
4. Freddie Fish 1- This one is very slow. I'm one of those people who likes to press the escape key a lot so yeah...

I never played Freddie Fish 5

Pajama Sam

1. Pajama Sam 2- This was the first one I played and I love how many different paths they put in it.
2. Pajama Sam 3- Got this when it came out. Lots of fun.
3. Pajama Sam 1- All of the games are equally good. This one is a little weak...I don't know

I never played Pajama Sam 4

Spy Fox

1. Dry Cereal- Love it. I have great memories of playing this. The path with getting the lucky charm and playing Go Fish was very challenging.
2. Operation Ozone- Really liked this one. Got this when it came out.
3. Some Assembly Required- The first Spy Fox game I owned (I believe it was a birthday gift). Like Pajama Sam, all of them are great.
Connak
Connak
Roamer

Back to top Go down

Post by hefan1998 Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:27 am

Sam: 1 >>> 2 >>>>>> 3 > 4

Fox: 2 >>>>>>>> 1 > 3 (Fox 2 is my favorite HE game ever)

I have never played a Putt-Putt game and have played only a few of the Freddi games so I'm not qualified to rank them all

hefan1998
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Onfy Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:22 am

Hmm... I think I might have worked it out...

Pajama Sam: 1-3-2(all roughly equal)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>4

Putt-Putt: Race-Time(roughly equal)>Moon>Zoo>>>Parade>>>>>PBS>>>>>>>Circus

Freddi Fish: 3-5(roughly equal)>>>>2>>1>>>>>>4

Spy Fox 2-3-1 (roughly equal)

Admin

https://www.youtube.com/user/Obscurenforeign

Back to top Go down

Post by legoknight Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:36 am

Putt-Putt:RACE,TIME,CIRCUS,PARADE,MOON,ZOO

Race is pretty hard to figure out some times.And it is long and fun.And that is why I like it.
Time was also good.And I like the areas they put.
I don't know why everyone hates on CIRCUS it was not that bad.
Parade is also a very good game.But what I deslike is that they did not use red street for something.
Moon is avarage.It was not good as the others and it was too short and easy.
The same with the Zoo.
legoknight
legoknight
Adventurer

https://twitter.com/legogamesfun2

Back to top Go down

Post by Nowhere Girl Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:27 pm

Spy Fox: so far I've only played SF3, so not much to say.
Junior Field Trip: Farm > Jungle > Airport
Freddi Fish: I've only played three of them (well, actually I also played FF2, but never finished it - there's a bug, always at the same place. However, I don't remember where anymore ;)). 5 > 3 > 1 (definitely boring).
Pajama Sam: 2 > 3 > 4 > 1
Putt-Putt: there are so many of them it's hard to choose... A few things are certain:
1. "Putt-Putt Enters the Race" is my favorite.
2. I also liked "Putt-Putt Joins the Circus", which doesn't seem too popular.
3. And "Pep's Birthday Surprise" definitely wouldn't be the last. I really don't know why people dislike the Humongous-Atari games so much... OK, working poorly on modern computers is a clear flaw, the YAGA engine was generally a bad choice, SCUMM is way better and doesn't burden the computer so much... Still, "Pep's Birthday Surprise" is really a nice game, apart from problems related to its engine.

Nowhere Girl
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by wileyk2012 Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:43 pm

Nowhere Girl wrote:I really don't know why people dislike the Humongous-Atari games so much... OK, working poorly on modern computers is a clear flaw, the YAGA engine was generally a bad choice, SCUMM is way better and doesn't burden the computer so much... Still, "Pep's Birthday Surprise" is really a nice game, apart from problems related to its engine.

When I did a Let's Play of that game for my birthday last year, it took a few tries to get the game to function properly while also running my screen capture software. At times the animation was rather poor, there were a number of reused elements from "Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo," "Putt-Putt Travels through Time" and "Putt-Putt Enters the Race" in the animation and designs, and many of the voices weren't so good. But, the concept wasn't too bad, some of those old locations were fun to revisit, it still had the familiar Humongous sound effects, and it also had a good musical soundtrack (even if some of the tracks were recycled from "Zoo!")

wileyk2012
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Onfy Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:58 pm

I found Farm the worst, actually. And PJS1 is the worst? Really? I approve of the Race love though.

And as a side note for wiley, the voices in PBS were mostly the programmers and graphics artists. Yes, like King's Quest 5.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nowhere Girl Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:09 am

PS1 is nice, but not as good as the later ones. It doesn't have as many variants and some are not too satisfactory... For example if Sam's mask is in the dancing furniture room, the solution is interesting, more complicated, but Carrot doesn't appear at all. :( (And he's a very fun character, I like his hippie-ish and political attitude - I really appreciate it, "everything is political", as I say.) And the solution with the cogs (some item in the mine - the flashlight, if I remember well) is very difficult - hey, for me NONE of the cogs looks obviously like the right one, for me it was pure trial and error and quite a long way to go back and forth.

Nowhere Girl
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Onfy Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:02 pm

Maybe that's why you need t complete the game several times to get the extra paths. One's friggin hard and the other lacks a fan favourite and arguably central character.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FallDownBear Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:40 pm

Putt-Putt: Moon > Time > Race > Parade > Zoo > Circus

Moon ranks so high with me just because of the imagery and atmosphere. At the tender age of 5, Moon was the strangest and wildest thing I had ever seen. It played a huge role in shaping the sort of art and media I would appreciate as a teen and adult. I mostly remember Zoo for the penguin hockey minigame, which I spent so much time in that the rest of the game was usually ignored. On a technical and narrative level, Time is definitely the strongest game.

1 has the best setting and atmosphere, hands down. "Go fish, Mr. Fox?" and the entire first area on the island is etched into my brain. I always rooted for the villain 'cause I hate cereal with milk. 3 just felt overly sprawling, confused and unfocused, and the villain annoyed me. "Live and let fry," my ass. The best parts of 3 were the guy ranting about "hooligans" and the jukebox full of amusing songs. I don't have much of an opinion on 2, other than that it was good.

I might do the rest another time.

FallDownBear
Player

Back to top Go down

Post by OdieFreddi Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:43 pm

(insert Buzzy emoticon here; we need one!) Let's Explore with Buzzy: Jungle > Airport > Farm
I love them all, but Airport more than Farm and Jungle more than Airport. I've always loved rainforests and jungles...  Putt: Happy Face
Freddi: Happy Freddi Fish: Freddi Fish 5=3 > 2 > 4 > 1 Luther: Happy
Freddi Fish 5 has the best graphics, story, puzzles, atmosphere... the best everything (makes sense since it was Humongous's last truly good game along with Spy Fox 3, so Humongous went out with a humongous bang)! Freddi: Laughing But Freddi Fish 3 also has the best everything, as it holds the title of 'Best Debug Menu', the Crook Creator is fun, the piano minigame is cool (since I've always loved piano programs and the piano game has a great puzzle), and its music is the best Freddi Fish music. 2 is pretty good, 4's puzzles are nice (and the Create-Your-Own-Fish minigame is awesome) but that's it, and 1 doesn't have a way to skip the traveling cutscenes and is pretty minimal since it's one of Humongous's early games, so it's last (even though its easter egg is... wow).
Putt & Pep Putt-Putt: Moon = Zoo > Time > Race > Circus > Parade Pep Normal
Moon's music is the best music of all the HE games and I like its setting. Zoo has lots of stuff to do (rhyme Luther: Happy), it has the most easter eggs out of all the HE games, and the Welcome to the Zoo song is the best song in all the HE games since it's really catchy. Time has lots of game paths, it has fun minigames, and you can change Putt-Putt's color to darker and lighter shades unlike the other games, which is awesome. Race is just as fun. Circus is cute and fun and I liked getting to see an older Baby Jumbo. Parade is pretty short and okay.
Fox: Logo  Fox: Normal Spy Fox: 3 = 2 = 1
I like 3 a bit more (especially the jukebox), but other than that, all are great. They're (almost; 1 is harder than the other two) equally challenging!
Sam: Flashlight Pajama Sam: 1 > 3 = 2 = GtPoAD
I like 1 more than 3 and 2 because the atmosphere is awesome, and it's kind of weird; I like weird (also Otto Otto and Carrot are cute). 2 has a nice minigame and I like the theme of weather (also, the puzzles are interesting), although it can be pretty hard to find some places due to how messy the Weather Factory is. It also has a funny easter egg. I like 3's food theme and the message is nice, the backgrounds are great, and the music (especially the Library music) is the best of all the three. Games to Play on Any Day has the best sound and graphics, and great games, of course (especially the Mancala game).
Putt: Happy Face  Sam: Happy I haven't played the Atari games yet, but from what I've seen, I think Pajama Sam 4 is better than Pep's Birthday Surprise, because PJS4 has more new characters and is more adventurous. They're both alright.
Pep Normal PBS: While it has two good minigames, has some nice stuff (graphics especially) and is about Pep, you can't change Putt-Putt's color permanently (even though invisible is an option! Putt: Confused), it has a bug in the rabbit minigame (where one of the bunnies disappears until you restart the minigame), the voice of Putt-Putt isn't good, the lipsyncing is bad, you have to press Space and Enter for separate skippings, and some rooms were reused from Zoo, Time and Race (there's also an odd clock icon when you move from one room to another; it's probably a time indicator for Pep's birthday though).
Sam: Thinking PJS4: While you can see Sam's mom (only in silhouette though), the song is nice, and I like all the characters, those are the only good things in the game. Pajama Sam's voice is odd (and most of the voices are really quiet), Sam freezes when walking from scene to scene (annoying!), it has somewhat slow pacing, the lipsyncing is bad, the logo at the start is badly animated, you have to press ENTER to skip cutscenes, and at the beginning where the cape is, it isn't randomized and it's easy to find every time (in fact, most of the game is easy, eg. every screen has a trading card). Sam: Shocked Also, it's too bad they used the Yaga engine instead of the SCUMM engine, and it has bad sequencing; at one point, you're supposed to have a chess piece poke some holes in a jar, but you can't have him do that without trying to catch the fireflies first. Everything else is alright. Also, Atari didn't really make those games (they only did some of PBS), but HE was in dire straits and most of the team was not the original team, so...
(insert a Big Thinkers emoticon here; we need one!) Big Thinkers: First Grade > Kindergarten
I prefer First Grade over Kindergarten because I prefer First Grade's activities, like the mad libs one. There are two coloring activities in First Grade, too! I wish there were more. Although, I do love the face-making activity in Kindergarten.
(We need a Fatty Bear emoticon!) Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise is cute and has fun puzzles. I do wish it became a series, but oh well.
Offtopic:  I do wish the One-Stop Fun Shop stories were made into real games, and that Spy Fox got his own One-Stop Fun Shop game! HOLY GASCAN!

Last edited by OdieFreddi on Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:09 am; edited 11 times in total (Reason for editing : I edit waaay too much :P)
OdieFreddi
OdieFreddi
Adventurer

http://odiesocean.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down