Other adventure games you enjoy?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Other adventure games you enjoy?

Post by pezhead53 on Thu May 24, 2012 11:38 pm

As Ron Gilbert once jokingly said on Twitter, the "reason" he founded HE was to get a new generation hooked on adventure games. That just got me wondering, what adventure games have you played / do you enjoy? A few personal favorites of mine include Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders, LOOM, Broken Sword 1+2, Gabriel Knight 1, The Blackwell Series from Wadjet Eye Games, and for the DS, Ace Attorney, Trace Memory, Hotel Dusk, and 9 hours 9 persons 9 doors.

pezhead53
Adventurer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Other adventure games you enjoy?

Post by GeorgeQGreg on Fri May 25, 2012 7:37 am

Monkey Island series, Broken Sword, King's Quest V and VI, Beneath a Steel Sky, Sam and Max Hit the Road and episodic, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Freddy Pharkas, Teenagent, the Hamtaro GBC/GBA games, the Spongebob PC games, Gobliiins series, the 7th level Monty Python games, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Fate of Atlantis, Carmen Sandiego's Great Chase Through Time, much of Infocom's text output, The first 2 Simon the Sorcerer games, Leisure Suit Larry 1, 5, 6 and 7, Troll's Tale, Quest for Glory 1 and 4, Discworld 2, Draci Historie, I have no mouth and I must scream, Nippon Safes Inc, Malcom's Revenge, Big Red Adventure, Toonstruck, Touche, and probably even more I can't remember at the moment. Basically, if it's an adventure, I probably will play it.

Sam: C.

Door: THAT'S ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!

GeorgeQGreg
Adventurer

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Obscurenforeign

Back to top Go down

Post by Retrodude on Fri May 25, 2012 5:32 pm

The first that I really got into after Humongous were Monkey Island 1 and 2, which I own the HD remakes of on Steam. Later I also got 4 of the LucasArts adventure classics on Steam as well, which are The Dig, Indy 3 and Fate of Atlantis, and the CD version of Loom. I also plan on one day collecting copies of the other LucasArts classics, with Day of the Tentacle being at the top of my list (It's one of the few games that I feel sorry about, ahem, downloading, it's that good!)
Other than those, I've got a few of TellTale Games' seasons, chief among them being Tales of Monkey Island and Sam & Max Season 2. I also enjoyed the small-time indie game Jolly Rover, which is what you'd get if you mixed Monkey Island with dogs.
More recently I've been purchasing adventure games on Gog.com. I got Broken Sword I for free when they had the big giveaway, and that got me somewhat interested in the series. My dad also owned the Police Quest games long before I was born on his Amiga, and he made me curious about those, so they were my first "real" purchase on Gog. I also bought the Gobliiins series on there, which is a good ton more difficult than any other adventure game I've played!
I also own a few games in the Myst series, but getting those to run on modern systems is a huge pain in the patootie. However, I do enjoy a good session of Cosmic Osmo or The Manhole every once in a while, which were early children's adventure titles made by the same guys years before Humongous came around!
And something should be said for those games that should be considered adventure games but fall victim to the wrong idea that "all FPS games are just shooting". Games such as the Half-Life series are just as much about solving puzzles to get past an obstacle as they are about shooting aliens, and some of the bosses in the first game are considered puzzle material as well. No shooting to be done with those. Many of Half-Life 2's puzzles require you to manipulate items using the game's dynamic ragdoll physics, as well, something difficult to achieve in a traditional 2D adventure game. And then there's Portal. No killing to be done there, you just need to solve puzzles with your portal gun!

Retrodude
Adventurer

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/JuniorAdventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pizzaking27 on Sat May 26, 2012 4:44 am

Hmm... I'm not sure if adventure games are easy to find in my country, so I'll sum it up with "I liked Employee of the Month".

Pizzaking27
Adventurer

Location : 16 Gatekeeper Close, Braintree, Essex, United Kingdom

View user profile http://pizzaking27.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GeorgeQGreg on Sat May 26, 2012 7:15 am

Well, several adventures were MADE in the UK, and it IS the country place where Sam and Max and Full Throttle are still in print...

Sam: C.

Door: THAT'S ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!

GeorgeQGreg
Adventurer

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Obscurenforeign

Back to top Go down

Post by Pizzaking27 on Mon May 28, 2012 12:24 pm

Oh yeah! I do remember having an adventure game based on the BBC cartoon the Animals of Farthing Wood for a while. It was about a fox who brings up his friends to save the titular forest. The weasel character has a REALLY annoying laugh!

Pizzaking27
Adventurer

Location : 16 Gatekeeper Close, Braintree, Essex, United Kingdom

View user profile http://pizzaking27.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:39 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top